Important: graphite2 security update
Security Advisory: Important
An update for graphite2 is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having a security impact of Important. A Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base score, which gives a detailed severity rating, is available for each vulnerability from the CVE link(s) in the References section.
Graphite2 is a project within SIL’s Non-Roman Script Initiative and Language Software Development groups to provide rendering capabilities for complex non-Roman writing systems. Graphite can be used to create “smart fonts” capable of displaying writing systems with various complex behaviors. With respect to the Text Encoding Model, Graphite handles the “Rendering” aspect of writing system implementation.
The following packages have been upgraded to a newer upstream version: graphite2 (1.3.10).
- Various vulnerabilities have been discovered in Graphite2. An attacker able to trick an unsuspecting user into opening specially crafted font files in an application using Graphite2 could exploit these flaws to disclose potentially sensitive memory, cause an application crash, or, possibly, execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2017-7771, CVE-2017-7772, CVE-2017-7773, CVE-2017-7774, CVE-2017-7775, CVE-2017-7776, CVE-2017-7777, CVE-2017-7778)
Red Hat would like to thank the Mozilla project for reporting these issues. Upstream acknowledges Holger Fuhrmannek and Tyson Smith as the original reporters of these issues.
For details on how to apply this update, which includes the changes described in this advisory, refer to:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server – Extended Update Support 7.3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server – AUS 7.3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 7 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop 7 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems 7 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for IBM z Systems – Extended Update Support 7.3 s390x
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian 7 ppc64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, big endian – Extended Update Support 7.3 ppc64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Scientific Computing 7 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux EUS Compute Node 7.3 x86_64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, little endian 7 ppc64le
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Power, little endian – Extended Update Support 7.3 ppc64le
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server for ARM 7 aarch64
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server – TUS 7.3 x86_64
- BZ – 1461260 – CVE-2017-7778 Mozilla: Vulnerabilities in the Graphite 2 library (MFSA 2017-16)
- BZ – 1472212 – CVE-2017-7771 graphite2: out of bounds read in “graphite2::Pass::readPass”
- BZ – 1472213 – CVE-2017-7772 graphite2: heap-buffer-overflow write “lz4::decompress” (CVE-2017-7772)
- BZ – 1472215 – CVE-2017-7773 graphite2: heap-buffer-overflow write “lz4::decompress” (src/Decompressor)
- BZ – 1472219 – CVE-2017-7774 graphite2: out of bounds read “graphite2::Silf::readGraphite”
- BZ – 1472221 – CVE-2017-7775 graphite2: assertion error “size() > n”
- BZ – 1472223 – CVE-2017-7776 graphite2: heap-buffer-overflow read “graphite2::Silf::getClassGlyph”
- BZ – 1472225 – CVE-2017-7777 graphite2: use of uninitialized memory “graphite2::GlyphCache::Loader::read_glyph”
RHSA-2017:1793 – Security Advisory